Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world.
New hallmarks added every day.
« Forums hallmarkwiki.com

Silver HallmarksHelp to Identify Silver hallmark

HELP with ID please.... year letter is stamped first?

Поделиться Вконтакте Поделиться в Facebook Добавить в Google+

Answer

DelnDeb

HELP with ID please.... year letter is stamped first?

created 30 Jun. 2017, 12:05
HELP with ID please.... year letter is stamped first? - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum
Help, I have a glass bowl with a silver rim with the attached hallmark, I can′t identify the year, the letter is a ′f′ in a rectangle with 2 ′triangle′ shapes at the bottom of the triangle (that probably doesn′t make sense but hopefully the photo will!). It has totally puzzled me and am really intrigued to find out more, I have not seen a stamp where the letter comes first; I also can′t find any information on the maker... Can anyone help? THANK YOU all in anticipation!
SteveDWollongong2

RE: HELP with ID please.... year letter is stamped first?

created 1 Jul. 2017, 07:43
Hi,

A little on British hallmarks...the maker would have a punch made with their unique mark which would be registered at a particular city assay office (sometimes more than 1 in the case of large manufacturers). The punch (in your case W & Co) was kept by the maker and struck on the nearly completed item before it was taken to the assay office to be tested (and any duties paid).

When passed, the item would then the hallmarks struck by the assay officer before the item was returned to the maker for the application of decorative work or engraving.
So from this you will note that not all marks on silver are hallmarks. Only marks applied by a government official or their representative are hallmarks. Silver plated items for instance do not carry ANY hallmarks as all the marks on them are applied by the maker as the items are not assayed.

So to your question about the letter f...there is no particular order in which the hallmarks are struck. The date letter can be placed in any order. This particular letter f with its distinctive cartouche shape is London 1921. The maker is Wolfsky & Co of Upper Marlybone St London.

Hope that has answered your questions,
Steve

Answer
Hello Stranger!
At this forum to discuss anything related to the Hallmarks..
To start the discussion, click on one of the buttons below:

Login Sign up

Most Recent:
23 Jul. 2017, icalabrese
Unknown spanish maker mark
20 Jul. 2017, SteveDWollongong2
Dutch or English?
19 Jul. 2017, icalabrese
Unknown hallmark
How to insert image

© 2011 — 2017 Silver Hallmarks hallmarkwikicom — Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world. New hallmarks added every day.
Forum Team · Active users · Terms of use · Privat policy