Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world.
New hallmarks added every day.
« Forums hallmarkwiki.com

Silver HallmarksHelp to Identify Silver hallmark

1825 silver fruit bowl, 7 in. on 4 in. pedastal

Поделиться Вконтакте Поделиться в Facebook Добавить в Google+

Answer

Neil Hadrich

created 29 Mar. 2017, 23:32
Cannot find any information on this item, IS or JS Co. with appears to be a bird facing left, wings or palm leaves up both sides of bird, followed by sterling stamped on other side of base is the name maintenon? help!!

Neil Hadrich
SteveDWollongong2

RE: 1825 silver fruit bowl, 7 in. on 4 in. pedastal

created 30 Mar. 2017, 01:06
Hi Neil,

As there are tens of thousands of silver makers marks from around the world, it is really impossible to offer any firm opinion without seeing photos of the marks and also a photo of the item. I have a candidate in mind but they weren′t in business in 1825 and you′ve not mentioned how you arrived at the bowl being made in this year?

If you can upload some decent close up photos of all the marks plus one of the bowl itself, I would be happy to investigate further.

Regards,
Steve
Neil Hadrich

created 30 Mar. 2017, 03:52
well that obviously did not work

Edited 30 Mar. 2017, 03:54

Neil Hadrich
Neil Hadrich

created 30 Mar. 2017, 04:34
Sorry Steve I really would like to send the pictures, seems I can email or send as attachment to Antoin at this email addy however I have exhausted all efforts to link it up according to your reference? Just keep getting email address not recognized?? Guess I am as much a novice at uploading pics here as I am on the information search for the item???

Neil Hadrich
SteveDWollongong2

created 30 Mar. 2017, 06:37
Hi Neil,

Try Googling Jennings Silver Company of Irvington New Jersey and see if the JS Co are a match. They were in business between 1915 and 1943 however.

Cheers,
Steve
Neil Hadrich

created 30 Mar. 2017, 16:34
thanks for your time and input Steve! I did email the pictures to Antoine Simone, this is the name that is attached to this site. I asked him to upload the pics but I see there has been no response as of yet. Perhaps he will in the future??? I will ck. out the company you mentioned, however the date 1825 is stamped on the bottom of my item which leads me to believe it was manufactured in that year?
Also the name maintenon is stamped on the bottom as well along with the (J.S. or I.S. Co - in italics) with what I belive to be the makers mark and the word sterling following.
Again thank you much!!
There is a city named maintenon about sixty miles south of paris france.

Edited 30 Mar. 2017, 16:36

Neil Hadrich
Neil Hadrich

created 30 Mar. 2017, 16:59
Hey Steve, ck. out the pictures above! The Jennings marks are not the same as these for sure. My pics just showed up... thanks Antoine!

Neil Hadrich
SteveDWollongong2

created 30 Mar. 2017, 23:19
Hi Neil,

I can absolutely, without any doubt, advise that your comport is not French nor was it made in 1825.

There are way too many reasons to put into writing but for basics...there are no requisite French hallmarks, nor was sterling silver ever produced in France until 1972. Prior to this it was either 800 or 950. (FYI - the word sterling silver represents the grade 925)

I originally went down the path of JS & Co, but you were correct with your first observation of IS & Co. It is one of approximately 50 marks used by the International Silver Co of the US. This company was formed in 1898 when a number of independently owned smaller business joined together and it grew with further acquisitions over time.The International Silver Company continued to use the trademarks of all of the original companies and acquisitions in conjunction with a mark of it′s own.

The bird mark is the mark of one of the origina companies called Meridian Britannia Company. This mark in use until the early 1930′s, placing your piece between 1898 and 1930.

Further confirmation when looking at the photos is the method of manufacture(it is spun silver)and style which place it again at the very end of the 19th through into the first half of the 20thC.

The number 1825 will be a company production code of some sort number....you find these on most US silverware. Yours just happens to be in the same form as a year, which often confuses people. In reality, very few countries ever stamped their silver with a year in a four digit format. (US patent years are stamped and for a period Austria incorporated the year into its mark.)

As far as the word ″Maintenon″ I cannot be sure. Often silverware was marked with the name of the retailer. In the 19th century and the early 20th there were no department stores and most silverware was sold in jewellery stores and the silver often marked with the jewellers name. ″Maintenon″ is a surname of French origin but it is also the name of a style of cross...often seen as a pendant.

Cheers,
Steve
Neil Hadrich

created 31 Mar. 2017, 03:08
You are the man Steve!! Honestly your info is refreshing as I have exhausted my efforts and was ready to give up until I ran across this site and fortunately you. Your willingness to offer this information has given me new hope in narrowing in even more on the origin and history of the item. It has also reignited my interest to continue searching for these lost treasures along life′s path. I cannot thank you enough for your time and experience!!

Neil Hadrich

Answer
Hello Stranger!
At this forum to discuss anything related to the Hallmarks..
To start the discussion, click on one of the buttons below:

Login Sign up

Most Recent:
Yesterday, 13:47, Kirils
Hallmark identification
13 May 2017, deanery34
spoon marking further pic
13 May 2017, deanery34
Egg cup markings
13 May 2017, deanery34
Help with markings please
12 May 2017, SteveDWollongong2
Flatware Set 800 Rutishauser from Geneve
23 Apr. 2017, Adele Armstrong
Unknown hallmark
How to insert image

© 2011 — 2017 Silver Hallmarks hallmarkwikicom — Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world. New hallmarks added every day.
Forum Team · Active users · Terms of use · Privat policy