Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world.
New hallmarks added every day.
« Forums hallmarkwiki.com

Silver HallmarksHelp to Identify Silver hallmark

Trinket Box - Unknown Marks

Поделиться Вконтакте Поделиться в Facebook Добавить в Google+

Answer

JC Cuthbert

Trinket Box - Unknown Marks

created 28 Apr. 2016, 20:17
Trinket Box - Unknown Marks - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum Trinket Box - Unknown Marks - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum Trinket Box - Unknown Marks - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum Trinket Box - Unknown Marks - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum Trinket Box - Unknown Marks - h.cx - Hallmarks Forum
Hi All,

I recently bought a cylindrical trinket box at auction. The bill of sale describes the item as a Chase box, but it wasn′t represented as such at the time of sale, and I doubt that it is Chase & Co.

There are 2 marks on the bottom, but after days of searching the internet, I have come up empty handed. The most prominent mark is ″(AL)″ stamped using a serif font. There is also a small rectangle with a symbol that I can′t quite make out.

The box itself is decorated with an embossed motif of leaves and flowers in the centre panel, the top and bottom portions with a triangle pattern. I think it dates to the early 1900s (pre WWI).

So far the best guess offered is Middle Eastern with the caveat that it is odd for a Middle Eastern silversmith to used Roman lettering rather than Arabic.
SteveDWollongong2

RE: Trinket Box - Unknown Marks

created 29 Apr. 2016, 00:33
Hi,

My feeling is that it is Asian and mid 20th century. I think that the leaves and flowers are modern stylised lotus. I have seen similar before and the use of Roman letters is common in Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

It has some similar design cues from late Yogya silver from Jogyakarta Indonesia but is not typical of the area as it is chased and not repousse. I think however that it might have been made in a neighbouring area or nearby country.

If you look at the obscured mark under magnification, is it possibly a set of numbers denoting the silver fineness such as 800, 835(rare but seen in Indonesia), 900 or similar? If so, this would also tie in with the Asian areas.

Cheers,
Steve
JC Cuthbert

created 29 Apr. 2016, 23:01
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the help. There seems to be a growing consensus that this canister/trinket box is Asian in origin.

A few others have suggested Indian or perhaps Turkish.

I will look more at Indonesian Yogya silver. It would be interesting if it did prove to be from Indonesia, as I have traveled to Yogyakarta and Jakarta a few times.

The picture doesn′t quite do the mark justice, but it is a clear as I can get without a good macro lens. That said I feel confident that the mark is a pictograph of some sort as opposed to something alpha-numeric.

With all good wishes,
JC Cuthbert

created 30 Apr. 2016, 00:04
I found this Vietnamese incense burner. The stylised flower is very similar.

Incense burner:

My canister:
JC Cuthbert

created 7 Jul. 2016, 02:33
It has taken months of searching, but I finally found the answer.

You were the closest out of everyone who offered a guess.

It turns out to be from Brunei.http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/1369.html

The motif is bunga air mulih (water flower plant).

With every best wish,

PD Props
SteveDWollongong2

created 7 Jul. 2016, 08:32
Congratulations on solving this and many thanks for taking the trouble to let me know. Not only will I now recognise Brunei silver when I see it, but by posting the answer so will others seeking the same answer.

Cheers,
Steve

Answer
Hello Stranger!
At this forum to discuss anything related to the Hallmarks..
To start the discussion, click on one of the buttons below:

Login Sign up

Most Recent:
Yesterday, 13:47, Kirils
Hallmark identification
13 May 2017, deanery34
spoon marking further pic
13 May 2017, deanery34
Egg cup markings
13 May 2017, deanery34
Help with markings please
12 May 2017, SteveDWollongong2
Flatware Set 800 Rutishauser from Geneve
How to insert image

© 2011 — 2017 Silver Hallmarks hallmarkwikicom — Hallmarks encyclopedia.
More then 15,000 silver hallmarks from all over the world. New hallmarks added every day.
Forum Team · Active users · Terms of use · Privat policy